The Building Department is in place to protect the public and the value of their homes. Your local Columbia City Building Department issues residential and commercial plumbing, mechanical, structural and fill permits. The City has an intergovernmental agreement with the City of St. Helens for Building Department services including a Building Official, plan reviews and inspection services to ensure that building codes are met. The Building Department also performs investigations and enforces code requirements on structures that are a hazard to the public.
The Building Department receives funding through revenues from permits and fees and other sources.
The Building Department is staffed by an Administrative Assistant, Helen Johnson, who can be contacted by calling 503-397-4010 or mail to PO Box 189, Columbia City, OR 97018. Our main contact at the City of St. Helens is Mike De Roia, Building Official, who can be reached by calling 503-397-6272 extension 128.
Contact the Building Department
To find out if you need a permit, please call 503-397-4010 or check the following:
The City uses Oregon ePermitting.
Contractors with valid CCB licenses can apply for a permit at ePermitting website: BuildingPermits.Oregon.gov
Homeowners applying for permits must contact City Hall at 503-397-4010 or in person at 1840 Second Street.
- How to Use Oregon ePermitting – This brochure is provided by the State of Oregon to assist in setting up an ePermitting account.
- ePermitting Inspection Codes Brochure – This brochure provides all the different inspection codes you will need to call in an inspection.
- SelecTXT – This brochure explains how to schedule inspections via text message.
Other Related Building Information, Forms & Applications:
- Building Department Fees
- Building Height
- Building Permit Procedure and Information Sheet
- City Fee Schedule (other fees, SDC’s, water & sewer connections, land use)
- Design Criteria – Snow load etc.
- Permit Extension Request
- Subcontractors List