The well system consists of two wells and a chlorination facility. The City’s main well is PW Well No. 2, with PW Well No. 1 serving as a secondary or backup well. The City is also a wholesale customer of the City of St. Helens, and purchases water as needed. The water from all three sources is pumped via two pump stations into Columbia City’s water reservoir system, consisting of three storage reservoirs with a combined storage capacity of 1.4 million gallons, and then distributed into the system. The distribution system consists of approximately 16 miles of distribution lines and 863 service lines and water meters.
The Water Department is funded from charges for service, licenses, permits fees, intergovernmental revenues, loan proceeds, and miscellaneous revenue.
The Water Department is staffed by the Public Works Superintendent, Micah Rogers, and three Utility Workers. The Public Works Superintendent is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations and the development of the City water system, and for supervising the water system maintenance staff. The department can be reached by calling (503) 366-0454. The department’s mailing address is PO Box 189, Columbia City, OR 97018. The City Shop is located at 1755 Second Place.
Current Rates and General Regulations for Water and Sewer Services– Last revision to information was July 2021.
Water Conservation Publications: provided by Oregon State University
DEPARTMENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN 2019-20:
- Continued to promote water conservation through public education, the design of the water rate structure, a system wide leak detection survey, leak repair work, etc.
- A focus was placed on leak detection and repair work in a effort to reduce the loss percentage to 10%.
- Continued to implement Source Water Protection Strategies by redirecting storm water from two drywells into an existing drainage swale.
- The department worked on a system-wide fire hydrant inspection and maintenance project.
DEPARTMENT OBJECTIVES FOR 2020-21:
- To continue to complete a system-wide fire hydrant inspection and maintenance project. Target date: July 31, 2020.
- To complete improvements to the K Street Pump Station to increase capacity and add remote access through SCADA in accordance with 2020-21 Policy Goal and Objective 3G set forth by Council.
- To continue to implement the water source protection strategies in accordance with 2020-21 Policy Goal and Objective 3F set forth by Council and as identified in the Drinking Water Protection Plan. Target date: June 30, 2021.
- To continue to implement the water conservation strategies identified in the Water Management and Conservation Plan. Target date: June 30, 2021.
- To make necessary repairs to eliminate water leaks as identified in the system wide leak detection study to effectively maintain water loss levels of 10% or less in accordance with 2020-21 Policy Goal and Objective 3E set forth by Council. Target date: Ongoing.
- To complete the restoration of the upper level water storage reservoir and add seismic upgrades to the upper level steel water storage in accordance with 2020-21 Policy Goal and Objective 3C set forth by Council. Target date: May 15, 2021.
- To annually flush the water system and exercise all fire hydrants. Target date: November 2020.
- To continue to implement a cross-connection program to require backflow devices for all new construction and a retrofitting program for existing water connections in an effort to fully protect the City’s water distribution system. Target date: Ongoing.
- To continue to meet all requirements and regulations governing public water systems through upgraded facilities and well-educated staff. Target date: Ongoing.
- To continue to provide the community with quality water that meets all Oregon Drinking Water Program standards. Target date: Ongoing.
- To emphasize special training and education of department employees. Target date: Ongoing.
- To update the November 2004 Water System Development Charge Study in accordance with 2020-21 Policy Goal and Objective 3H set forth by Council. Target date: December 31, 2020.